Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rocky...

Is it strange that before writing this blog, the Rocky theme song started playing in my head? The motivating uplifting theme song to one of my husband's favorite movies is playing as I write. I had such a motivating moment this weekend, and again just now. So motivating, I decided to share it. So here is a little back story.

Over two years ago my husband, Don had a BBQ with some old college friends. Ella was only maybe 6 months old. This is the funnest bunch of guys you have ever met. A group with more inside jokes than I can ever learn about, or care to. A group who have stayed connected and bonded even though college days are long behind them. As cool as the guys are, the guys wives' are just as cool. Most have been parents for a lot longer than Don and I. Some however were just starting their families. One of the wives in particular has always stood out to me as a cool chic. Fun and easy going. She was pregnant and expecting a baby in a few months. She seemed a bit nervous. I had no doubt she would be a great Mom, but I felt compelled to calm the nerves. I dont have much recollection of this exchange, but apparently I told her - "J dont worry, as long as you and your hubby make this baby a part of your life and keep doing the things you love, it will all fall into place."

Moving to present day, this past weekend, I saw this Mom "J" who now has a happy, beautiful 2 and a half year old little boy. She looked at me and very seriously recounted to me what I said to her at that BBQ. She told me that when her son was colicky and not sleeping, she thought about what I told her and it helped her pull through. I was stunned. I honestly thought my husband had put her up to boosting my ego. "J" then told me that I would be writing a book by October. A dream of mine is to write a book. It was the exact motivation I needed to keep going with this blog. I've had a few haters, only a few, but a few can sometimes be enough to squash a dream. Not this time.

After starting my blog last week, Ive had over 800 hits from all around the Country and even the world. Mommies as far away as India, Iran and the Netherlands have been reading. Today the Mom, "J" emailed me some more motivating words. She said "Thanks for doing this for all the Moms out there." So Im going to keep going, thanks Momma "J"!

I wanted to write this to say to those who have had children, don't preach the negative to our expecting Mommies out there. Be uplifting and inspiring - keep your delivery experiences to yourself. That is unless you pushed 3 times and had no pain, than please share away. You never know how long your words might last in a new Mommy's mind. Also remember like everything else in life, every experience is unique to those who go through it, so why taint it with negativity?

When I was pregnant I had the most absurd things said to me, I still remember every person who said them to me. Here are some of my favorites;
"Your face has changed" -Co-worker
"You're HUGE!" - Lady at the check out counter of King Kullen
"Oh, you think this is bad, labor is the worst!"-By the nurse as she put my IV in my arm in the delivery room.
"You are going to use drugs, why? Why would you do that?" - Our 60 year old waitress after she asked me a million questions about my birth plan. I proceeded to tell her that I am using drugs because it isnt the year 1880 and I dont have to bite a stick and squat in the woods, I have a choice. Believe it or not, this did not stop the onslaught of negative comments.

Some great words of wisdom were shared as well. Mostly from my Mom, who constantly reassured and affirmed that I would be a great Mom and that instinct would come into play. Thanks Mom.

Mommy Mantra - Make you kids an incredible Part of your life, not your WHOLE life."

Tonight I made chicken Pad Thai with eggplant and mushrooms. It was a big hit - it was gobbled up completely. The girls went to bed with happy full bellies. Now Im about to have ice cream. Sometimes Mom needs "something special" too.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment Ironbunny. Hope you have a good night. A little ice cream goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete